When recovering from a drug or alcohol addiction, you must stay focused on your sobriety. Staying sober takes hard work and daily commitment. It requires taking good care of yourself mentally and physically, rebuilding relationships, attending 12-Step meetings, and avoiding relapse triggers. But it also means taking time to enjoy life and have fun. Having a good time with family or friends is an excellent way to create happy, sober memories for everyone.
Sober Fun to Have In and Around Terre Haute
From outdoor adventures and sporting events to historical exhibits and live performances, there are many activities for everyone to enjoy sober in and around Terre Haute, Indiana.
The Terre Haute Parks Department includes 31 parks with over 1,000 acres. Many parks have beautiful campgrounds with sites to accommodate everything from tents to luxurious RVs, and several have cabin rentals. Fowler Park has two lakes, including one 25.9-acre lake with a swimming beach and boat ramp. The park has a working gristmill, a pioneer village, and a beautiful covered bridge. Campsites are also available at Hawthorne Park, Terre Haute Campground, and Prairie Creek Park.
The largest municipal park in Terre Haute, Deming Park, covers 177 acres. It is a beautiful place to enjoy nature and explore the outdoors. There are two fishing ponds and numerous paths for walking, jogging, or biking. You can bring a picnic lunch or use the park’s grills for barbeque. If you have children with you, they will enjoy the Oakley Playground, swimming in the pool, and a ride on the Spirit of Terre Haute miniature train. There is an 18-hole disc golf course, tennis and basketball courts, soccer and baseball fields, and horseshoe pits for everyone to enjoy. Take time to relax and enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the park’s Arboretum.
Take the family to Bogey’s Family Fun Center for a day filled with laughter and good times. At Bogey’s you can play a game of miniature golf on a course complete with waterfalls, bridges, streams, and a lagoon. Ride the Nas Karts or Bumper Cars, hit balls in the batting cages, or play a game of Water Wars. Visit Playland, featuring two super slick slides, an Elastic Tunnel, Magic Carpet Ride, Challenge Path, Kangaroo Room, Rodeo Riders, and a Stalag-bag Arch. Bogey’s Family Fun Center also has an arcade, a Pizzeria, and Snack Bar.
Terre Haute is home to many interesting museums.
- Located in the heart of the city, the Terre Haute Children’s Museum provides hours of laughter, fun, and exploration. The three-story building houses hands-on exhibits, including waterworks, a tree house, a dino dig, a rotating space exhibit, and many more interesting learning experiences. There is a special section equipped for toddlers.
- Located in Terre Haute’s Cultural Downtown District, The Sheldon Swope Art Museum houses numerous works from throughout the country and provides a venue for local artists and art exhibitions.
- The Wabash Valley Railroad Museum features a Pullman WWII troop sleeper, two cabooses, a GE 45-ton switcher locomotive, two interlocking towers, and a train viewing platform.
- Located in Dobbs Park, The Native American Museum is operated by the Terre Haute Parks Department. The museum has permanent displays that show the way of life of the Northeast Woodlands native peoples. Adjacent to The Native American Museum is a nature museum with birds and animals.
- The Fire-Police Museum houses collections, memorabilia, displays, and exhibits from 1910 through the 1940s. The exhibits include the Police Department’s first horse-drawn ambulance from 1885, Indiana’s first motorized fire truck, an operational fire alarm system, and a fire pole.
Enjoy playing 18 holes of golf at a course that is over 100 years old. The fun but challenging Rea Park Golf Course opened in Terre Haute in 1920. There are three other 18-hole golf courses in Terre Haute: the Marks Par Three Golf Course, Idle Creek Golf Course, and Hulman Links.
Do You Need Help with Addiction?
If you or a loved one needs help with drug or alcohol addiction, now is the time to reach out to Anabranch Recovery Center in Terre Haute, IN. Our team of caring professionals is ready to help you along your journey to recovery. Take the first step toward living a sober life and contact us today.